Below is an overview of how to prepare before your abortion visit at our Clinic, and what to expect upon arrival.
To prepare for your visit:
- For confidentiality purposes, each patient must call and schedule her own appointment.
- For Michigan: Bring your 24-Hour Consent Confirmation page
- You (and your guest) must bring a valid ID with you to the office.
- If you are using health insurance of have state assistance, bring your insurance card with you. If you are paying with cash or credit card, payment will be due before any services are rendered.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke or chew anything beginning at midnight on the night before your appointment.
- Do not use drugs or alcohol for 48 hours prior to your appointment.
- Wear comfortable clothes for your appointment. Bring with you a change of underwear, and 2-3 sanitary pads.
- If you are opting for twilight or general anesthesia, you will need an escort to drive you home.
- You may bring one guest only with you to the office.
- If you are under 18 years of age, contact your local office to ask if there are additional requirements for minors.
When you arrive:
- You’ll be greeted at the reception desk and asked to fill out paperwork listing your contact information, medical history, and other important information..
- If someone is dropping you off and returning later, they must first come into the center to sign paperwork stating they will return to pick you up.
- You’ll meet for a medical intake session and undergo lab work.
- You will receive an ultrasound to determine length of pregnancy.
- All women will have a counseling session to discuss their decision and to answer any questions or concerns. You will be advised on what to expect during and after your surgical or medical abortion, and go over all instructions you may need.
- You will also have an opportunity to discuss birth control options.
- Our well-trained and caring staff will be with you throughout the entire procedure.
If you are having a Medical Abortion / RU486:
- After your counseling session, you will meet with the doctor to review any medical concerns and review all of your instructions.
- While you are with the doctor, you will take the first portion of your medical abortion, Mifeprex.
- You will then receive the remainder of your medications: Misoprostol, antibiotics, and pain medications to take home with you.
- If you have opted to begin birth control, the doctor may offer a sample pack or write you a prescription.
- You’ll be asked to return to our Clinic for a follow-up visit in 2-3 weeks.
For more information about Medical Abortions, please visit Medical Abortions/RU486
If you are having a Surgical Abortion:
- After your counseling session, you will enter the exam room for the procedure. The physician will review your medical history with you, and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Your surgical abortion will be performed, and should take no longer than 2-5 minutes.
- When your procedure is complete, a nurse or medical assistant will help you get dressed and escort you to the recovery area, where you will rest for 30-60 minutes.
- In the recovery room, you’ll receive medications to minimize cramping, and get your aftercare instructions/medications. A nurse will monitor your heart rate, temperature, and bleeding, and offer you a snack and something to drink. When you’re ready to go home, we will contact your ride for you.
- You’ll be asked to return to our Clinic for a follow-up visit in 7-10 days.
For more information about surgical abortions, please visit Surgical Abortion.